Monday, February 28, 2011

A New Beginning with Vegetable Soup


I started Weight Watchers again the February 14th  week. I’m like a terrible yo-yo. I’ve gained and the lost the same 20 lbs so many times it’s ridiculous, but here I am again.  Since I last joined the program they’ve changed the system to this new Points Plus program. I’m pretty sure I get in trouble for talking about details, but one of the perks to this new program is that almost all vegetables and fruits are 0 points! That was a big promo for the new plan so I’m pretty sure I’m not getting sued here. So now I have an even greater incentive to keep trying new veggies and old veggies in NEW ways!

This week as part of the kick off to their new program they provided me with a very popular Fresh Vegetable Soup recipe.  I headed off to the grocery store and ended up with so many fresh fruits and veggies I had/am having serious space issues in my refrigerator.  I took their Fresh Vegetable Soup suggestion and made it my own.


Fresh Vegetable and Matzo Soup

2 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, diced
3 carrots, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
2 celery stalks diced
2 small zucchini, diced
2 cups green cabbage, shredded/sliced thin
2 cups kale
2 cups cauliflower, small florets
2 cups broccoli, small florets
1 tsp dried thyme
8-10 cups chicken stock  (or my usual 1 box of chicken stock + 1 box of water-refill chicken stock + add bullion cube +extra water if needed)
Salt and pepper to taste

Additional:
1 packet from the box of Manischewitz® Matzo Ball Mix
Needed for mix: 2 eggs, and 2 tbsp vegetable oil

Instructions:

After chopping all the veggies, put them in a large soup pot with the chicken stock, and start the water to get it to boil.

Mix up the package of Matzo Ball Mix according to the package (mix with fork, stick in fridge for 15 minutes)

After the 15 minute the soup should be boiling if not, then wait until it is.  Wet hands, and make tiny balls with the matzo mix. The box mix said that each packet should make between 9-12 balls, well I made mine so tiny I got like 17-18 balls in my soup.  Drop the matzo balls into the soup.  Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.


Family verdict
Me: I  thought should mention that I did my box of chicken stock, add water and bullion, however I forgot to actually add the bullion.  The flavor of stock actually still came through, but the soup needed a little more salt than it would needed otherwise.  The flavor was really good on the whole soup despite my little mix up.  Matzo balls really helped it be more filling. Oh! The Matzo balls- remember how tiny I said to make them- they blowup to the size of store bought meatballs.  Matzo is awesome it gets so huge! I need protein with my meals so I grilled up a chili lime chicken burger and dipped in mustard for my protein.  Very balanced and filling.
Toby: He actually liked it too.  He noticed the lack of salt thing actually, but still said it was good. 
Natalie was with Grandma and Grandpa that night so she didn’t try it.

Conclusion:
Bravo weight watchers (and Erica!) for your fabulously healthy soup.  I would make this again.  I may try adding chicken chunks to the soup in the future, but having the protein on the side worked fine too.  If you have not tried Matzo balls yet, I require you to make a soup using Matzo balls in the near future. They are just too much fun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment