Sunday, February 27, 2011

Short and Sweet


Wow just a tad behind, sorry friends and family. This recipe/experiment is from the February 7th week. Digging into the recesses of my brain I remember we tried a new sweet potato recipe from my cousin-in-law (is that even a term?) Brenda Kendall.  It’s a crock pot side dish which was interesting. Our recipe this week was:

Coconut-Pecan Sweet Potatoes

Ingredients
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup flaked coconut
1/3 cup sugar
4 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup reduced-fat butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions
Place sweet potatoes in a 5-qt. slow cooker coated with cooking spray. Combine the pecans, coconut, sugar, brown sugar, butter, cinnamon and salt; sprinkle over potatoes.
Cover and cook on low for 4 hours or until potatoes are tender. Stir in extracts. Yield: 12 servings.

Family Verdict: 
Me: The flavor was good, but it was very sweet. It was more a dessert than a side dish for dinner. I served it along side of rosemary herb pork chops to help balance the sweetness a bit.
Toby: Not such a big fan of anything sweet at dinner. I think he had some but not a lot.
Natalie: Sorry, it’s been a couple weeks and I’m stretching to remember. I want to say she ate a bite or two. I don’t think she devoured it, else I would have remembered that.

Conclusion:
Would not make as a side dish with dinner again, but perhaps mashed up and stuffed in a pie shell?

I was hoping to have tried the sweet potato biscuits recipe I also got from Brenda, but I ran out of time and sweet potatoes- oh well saving for another day.

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you on the sweet thing...I love sweet and savory side dishes, especially when they're of the sweet potato variety but if they're just plain sweet, it's a bit off-putting. Sounds like a great combo of flavors though!

    ReplyDelete